Monday, March 24, 2014

Become a farmer?

The serious game I chose for the autonomous learning is Third World Farmer. The game is about managing an African farm by overcoming different kinds of difficulties. Therefore, it can help students build their problem-solving abilities. Also, most students from city are not familiar with the farm life and the third world, so the game can broaden their horizon. That's why I think the game is suitable for my students.

I played the game for 34 times. In the process of playing, I met a lot of challenges, like natural disasters, financial crisis, wars, etc. In addition, I have to settle the families' health and living issues. It's not easy to win the game, but it's easy to handle the game. Besides, I learned a lot related vocabularies, like some crops' names, animals' names, farming tools, etc. Therefore, the first learning objective is to enlarge students' vocabulary, which can be achieved through using these words repeatedly when playing the game. Moreover, the game contains a clear storyline, which concerns the second learning objective: to foster the story-telling ability.

As for the assessment of the learning objectives, I can ask students retell what they meet and do in the game. In this way, I will know whether they grasp the vocabularies and understand the contents of the game or not.

2 comments:

  1. Your objectives and assessment would work well.
    Please make your link from the title of the game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Pro. Maryanne,

    Thanks for your notification. I have already reseted the link.

    Yours,
    Lihan

    ReplyDelete