Monday, May 5, 2014

Podcast, making learning efficient

According to Wikipedia, Podcast is a digital medium consisting of an episodic series of audio, video, PDF or Epub files subscribed to and downloaded through web syndication or streamed online to a computer or mobile device. In order to explore the use of Podcast in English learning field, I chose ESL Pod, which is a website providing podcasts and transcripts for L2 learners of English. I didn't register it, but I can still listen to the podcast. After looking through these podcasts, I chose the one named English Cafe to listen to. It introduces two songs, specifically, the singers, backgrounds, stories behind the songs. So how can I use it in my teaching?

Firstly, the topic is interesting and relaxing, like popular songs, funny stories, etc. Therefore, I can let my students listen to it when they need to relax themselves. They don't need to be totally concentrated on it, because what I want is that they can develop their English sense and find interest of leaning English through listening to this podcast.

Also, students can know about some English culture and society by listening to the podcast. Like it tells me "Que Sera Sera" means "take it easy" because the song "Que Sera Sera". It's really practical for English learners because it is true to life. If students can insist on listening to it, I think they will benefit a lot.


1 comment:

  1. It might be interesting to have students have a small group discussion in class to talk about the podcast after assigning it.

    ReplyDelete